Skip to main content

Simple Christmas or Simply Me

Minimal decorating for Christmas was on tap for 2017.  I planned to do a tree and nothing more.  Let's face it, getting the tree from the basement is a pretty big deal.  Getting ornaments from the third floor is another big deal and requires more than one trip as did the tree itself.  So that's what I did.

I settled on black and gold as the theme for my silver tree this year.

That included the wrapping for presents too.

My grandsons got pretty excited when they saw all the wrapped presents until they were reminded that Grandma wraps empty boxes.

I felt good having my decorating finished early but then I realized I should probably take the bright orange and yellow leaves off the front door and replace them with something more seasonal. No big deal.

Reflections are always a problem when trying to photograph this door.

I tried one last time.  This time I got the radiator inside the house, the storm door I'm holding open, the mail carrier and the house across the street.  It will have to do. When I went out to take this picture, I noticed that this spot of color seemed a little lonely,

so I tossed a pink pillow on the swing and wrapped a little garland across the back of the swing. I have several strands of pink outdoor lights, but...that's where I draw the line.  Dealing with extension cords and getting the plugs inside the house for power is a pain.

Since I put the tree up before Thanksgiving, I had ample time to get re-energized.  Before I realized it I was thinking about what I could do to the mantel in the dining room.  I started pulling out more things tucked in that over sized closet on the third floor.

Empty boxes are always an economical start.

Some of these I had saved from previous years.

This is a tree I found at a yard sale some years ago.  I added lights to it this year.

I can't even remember how long I have had these poinsetta plants but I use them somewhere every year.

I did buy something new this year.  The votive light on the left came in a set of six.  I couldn't pass up the 20% off sale at Gringo Jones.  By mentioning them here, I am also included in a $50 gift certificate drawing.  Seemed like a win either way to me.

So there we have it.  The mantel is looking festive for the holidays.

I couldn't resist a little computer enhanced shot and one more package to balance things out.  Oops, I forgot to light the tree!

Because the buffet is on the opposite side of the dining room I wanted to add a little color there too.
I ripped these beautiful poinsettias from a $5 wreath I bought at St. Vincent de Paul. Can't beat the price.  You can't really tell here, but the ribbon is gold with the perfect shade of pink....a Hobby Lobby find this year at 50% off.

Because I kept finding things in that 3rd floor closet I just kept adding.  I stuck these ornaments into stemmed candlesticks.


OK, good enough.  I'm finished.

Except, I had pulled out some curly, silver sparkled spears for the mantel and then decided against them.  So instead of returning them to the closet, I stuck them into an arrangement I had in the kitchen window.

Then I knew I needed to add a couple touches around the kitchen to balance things out.

There are those votive lights from Gringo Jones again.

That's it.  Enough for the kitchen.  But what about the back porch.  I'm on a corner and almost everyone uses the side entrance to the back porch.

  I got the bright idea to do something I have been wanting to do for a few years.

Here is how it turned out and here is the process in a separate post.

Getting this done created some momentum and rather than slam on the brakes abruptly, I thought it best to do a little something to the mantel in the foyer as a way of slowing down gradually.

I wasn't thinking of Christmas when I purchased these hydrangeas earlier this year at JoAnn Fabrics.  I just liked them and knew they would come in handy sometime.

I wanted to attach them to the mirror for a wreath like effect, but making that happen seemed like a struggle I was willing to forego.

I'm showing this just so you know I restrained myself in this room.

I usually do a little something outside but I was beginning to run out of steam.

This niche on the side of the garage door just took a few minutes.

But then I needed to pull some color around the corner so I added a wreath to the side door. Remember that wreath I abused by pulling off the pink poinsettias?  It didn't sell at my last garage sale even though it was priced at $1.  So, I pulled it back into use and doctored it up for the door.


There are so many opportunities to decorate the exterior of the house and I do have some ideas.  There are still 15 days until Christmas but I better devote some time to shopping and wrapping real gifts.

Maybe next year I'll start a little earlier.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a