Skip to main content

Closet Update

I left off on the last post with the tapering off of mild weather and the work Dan was able to accomplish on the exterior.  I will continue here with what we have been able to accomplish on the inside since then.

First off, it was time to get the heating/cooling unit in place, not only to be comfortable, but also to be able to get the paint to dry and the flooring to lay flat.

The space for the unit has been sitting like this for some time because there was no urgency.  With temperatures dropping, this moved up on the priority list.

Temperature control is now just a click on the remote.

Final coating of the walls and ceiling and  the finishing of electrical details was knocked off the list.

Then came the flooring.  Would you believe it took four boxes with 19.39 sq. ft. per box.....plus one strip (about 2 sq.ft.) from box five.  So if anyone is in need, I have 17 sq. ft of natural oak warm gray vinyl plank flooring left over.

This shows what was left to do on doors and windows.

Here you see the trimmed out double doors and a bit of the door into the bathroom.

Window sills were made and installed.

Window trim is waiting for the final coat of paint and blinds are on order.


Both thresholds were a bit tricky.  The transition here was uneven.  Dan did everything he could to reduce the difference in height, but some of the existing construction was rigid.  As a solution, Dan constructed a beautiful oak threshold that bridges the tile and the laminate floor and creates a smooth transition.
Of course, I forgot to get a picture of it before I started my part of the job.

The  oak piece in it's original color was going to stand out in a room of gray and off white. I experimented a bit on the underside, as you can see here, to make it blend with it's surroundings.

Then flipped it over and jumped in with a coat of Light French Grey. I left that for about one minute and wiped off what had not penetrated the wood. (the picture shows the wiped down step) Next I used a stain I had on hand and wiped that on with a rag. I gently wiped it off again and then added more and wipe it again until I was satisfied.  I used a Tonetic brand custom mixed stain and I have no idea what I had used it for previously.  Not much, evidently, since the quart was about 99% full.

 This is the result.  We were quite pleased to have it match the flooring so well.  It was left to dry and then installed. The final step was to give it a coat of polyurethane.

And, one more thing to cross off the list.


In between all this Dan rearranged a few things on the wall in the hallway.  I have lived for 42 years with a wall sconce that had a little turn switch on the fixture.  It wasn't the easiest thing to grab onto and impossible to turn if your hands were damp or if you had just applied hand lotion.  It was way past due for a change.

This picture goes back to when the wall was first constructed to close off the hallway entrance to the bathroom.  It shows the old wall fixture.  Just below the thermostat is a switch that controls the overhead light in the foyer on the first floor.  An additional switch was added and these three objects were re positioned slightly.

Dan kept the mess to a minimum and did his magic.


After patch plastering it was ready for primer and paint.

The new light is in place and so is the thermostat and new dual switch plate.  I just haven't taken a photo.  As you can see I added a large picture on the new wall.  I'm working on getting other items hung and I'll show the entire hallway when everything is in place.
I chose this fixture because it resembled a street light and I have a bit of a transportation theme in mind so I thought that was fitting.

On that note, I'm closing this post.  I'm pretty sure the next post will be the FINAL on this project.  Just not exactly sure when it will happen.  Soon, yes, I'm sure.  Soon, real soon.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a