Skip to main content

Recent Resale Finds

Recently I have been scouting out some things for a friend and in the process found a few things for myself.

Green Shag Antique Mall had this interesting free form wreath, and now I have it.

I was lucky enough to talk to the woman who made the wreath as she was working at the mall.  She said she removed it from her front door after a bird built a nest in it.  Guess that was not working out too well for her, but I was glad she left the nest right where it was built.
 I was testing out a pale pink flower on it here.

As you can see here I followed through with the flowers.

I love the asymmetrical look.  Obviously it's a little hard to snap a picture without a reflection.

 I tried again but the red pickup got in my way no matter what I tried.  And since then it seems to like being in the reflection either on one side of the street or the other.

 I will have to be satisfied with a closeup.

And the view I see most often and enjoy from inside the house.



Moving on to find #2.

I saw this serigraph while browsing at Bricoleur on Cherokee Street in St. Louis.  I didn't think I had a place for it, but after I left, I keep thinking about it.  So the following weekend I went back and got it for $10. Because I came back for it, they knocked it down to less than half price.  Such a deal!

It came with this certificate of authenticity.  However, there was a slight problem.  The certificate listed the title as, "Lady's Portrait."  I'm no sleuth, but something seemed a bit off here.  So I googled Anatole Krasnyansky and found many of his works in two very different styles.

There were a slew similar to the one I bought.  This one was priced at $269.99.

And this one was marked $325.00.



Ebay has this one for $1495.  Granted this one is larger than mine
which measures 6" x 7 3/4".



I found several I really admire, like this one for $899.  Let's face it, I have a thing for old buildings.

 I did find one the exact size of the one I bought.  It is titled "Prague-Icy Reflection" and is tagged $98. Good eye if you recognized it as the scene in my new acquisition.

GET READY.......... I will now show you his other style.


Talk about mood swings.

Not that I don't admire these as well.  And not that my mood doesn't change.  It's just that I'm not in this mood right now.

I do like looking at the color combinations and I must say this style is starting to grow on me.
One last one coming up.

Not my favorite, but I had to show it because this is the one called, "Lady's Portrait."  Makes me wonder how or why the certificate of authenticity for this piece was attached to the one I bought.  Just because they are by the same artist, I guess.  (What's better:  misinformation or no information?)

But back to the one I now own.  I decided it would look good in my powder room, but the frame would not.  So, I dug through some old frames and found one that was just the right size.

It did need a slight adjustment. It took a little work to yank the easel off the back, but at least there was a proper hanger to mount it on the wall.

 Here it is in the new/old frame.

I like the way it looks against the wallpaper in the powder room.

Some might not think it would be an honor to have their work hanging over the toilet, but Anatole will never have to know.


Item #3

happens to be something else I picked up at Bricoleur on my first visit.

Unlike the serigraph, I knew exactly where I wanted these to go.

However, they have to hang on the wall and I still have to figure out a way to do that.  And, yes, I did get them both for $5.  The shopkeeper suggested I drill a hole in the lip on the back with a ceramic bit and pull a wire with a loop through the hole.  That seemed like a fine idea.....for someone else.  I might as well just smash them on the sidewalk and be done with it.

I found these tabs in my junk drawer and thought maybe they would work even thought they might be 20 yrs. old.  According to the instructions you moisten them well and apply to the surface of the object.  (Yah, well that glue, if there really was any, had long dissipated.) So, I had to come up with a Plan B.

 I have no idea how old this adhesive is, but it is supposed to stick to just about everything, so I gave it a try.  Instructions recommend letting it dry for 24 hours, and even though patience is not my strong suit, I did follow orders.
I couldn't use the other tab with the eyelet on drywall.  As an alternative I tried this picture hanging gizmo.

I won't go into what I went through trying to find the right nail length, with big enough heads not to slip through the holes but yet with a small enough diameter to slide in up to the head.  It's a verrrry long story so be glad I'm sparing you.

The little decorative saucers weight about a quarter of a pound.  I wasn't sure I trusted this method and thought about how I might give the saucers a soft landing just in case it failed.

However, because these were another "over the toilet" wall decor, it was a little difficult to soften the fall without padding everything they might come in contact with on the way down so I'm taking my chances.

A half day's work and one small step closer to a finished bathroom.


I did pick up a couple more things but they will keep until later.  This post is long enough and I'm not ready to show them just yet.  Oh, what the heck.  I will show you what they are and save the "where-they-go" for later.

The first one is a framed poster I found at Big Bend Antique Gallery.  I intend to use it on a gallery wall in my second floor hallway.

I already have four other framed pieces and a bit of a triple theme going.  Can you figure out any of the themes from this one alone?

The other item I bought on a whim.

It caught my attention and the price was reasonable.  I also knew someone who would probably want to buy it if I decided I couldn't use it.  Have I now justified a really random purchase?


This is how it was displayed at Treasure Isle Antique Mall.  The price included the Christmas ornaments and the 4 glass pots.  Versatile, right?  I still haven't decided if it's a keeper or not, but I will be making that decision soon. Once I do, I will report back on both of these finds.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a