Skip to main content

A Catch up Post on the Bedroom

 It has been a very slow crawl getting the finishing touches completed for the bedroom.  It's to be expected under the circumstances, but it feels a bit awkward trying to write a post now when the momentum has waned for so long.

I'm thinking by starting a post, I might get things rolling again. Let's see if it works!

Here are a few things that have materialized over the long gaps.  I did see a headboard pictured in a yard sale ad that I thought would work for my bed.  I showed up early, said I wanted the headboard without looking at anything else, paid, and went to my car.  The seller carried it to my car and put it in the back. That went quite well.  

I cleaned it, primed it and painted it Dorian Gray, a color from my stash.  Attaching it to the bed was not a simple matter since my mattress sits on a metal frame.  Consequently I had to wait until my brother could make some adjustments and get it in place. One other small hurdle:  It had to cover an electrical outlet that is centered above the bed. That took two tries but it is now in place.

I also managed to sell the dresser that I had been using in my bedroom because it was no longer suitable.  With the new arrangement I had in mind, it was just not the right size for the wall. 

Plus, I had painted it three tones of green of green when I bought it a few years ago and the finish was still looking great.  I thought someone else might enjoy it.  There was a daddy out there that thought it would be perfect for his little girl.

I had put everything from the drawers in see through bags and lined them up in another room.  My plan was to find a more suitable set of drawers sometime, somewhere.  Eventually I gave up on that idea and decided to use a chest of drawers I had been using for storing items in my studio. 

I forgot to take a picture before I did the sanding so this is what you get.  There are a total of four drawers that are made to look like ten.  That translates to: lots of hardware.

The top drawer had two knobs and two missing knobs. All the hardware for the bottom three drawers was intact but I was not particularly fond of it.  The 2" center set of holes already drilled in the drawers, as you probably know, is not a standard item these days.  There were a few, but not anything close to what I had in mind and the least expensive one I found would have cost about $70 for twelve.  I was not about to spend that for something I didn't even like.  I did find the exact hardware I already have for $10 apiece. Somehow knowing they were worth $120 made me pause. 

I threw in the towel and decided to clean and paint the current hardware and change it out later if I found something better. You know how it goes.  At some point you just have to pick your battles. 

I found four matching knobs that I had removed from another piece of furniture and used those for the top drawer.  Yes, I know, I could have filled the holes and drilled new ones to fit any size hardware, but this was a temporary solution to get my undies out of plastic bags and into drawers.  Keeping it simple had become my mantra.

Then there was the bench at the end of the bed.  My sister-in-law alerted me to a pile of discarded furniture in her alley and that's where I found the bench that was perfect for my Chi Machine. I cleaned and painted it and used it for a few years. 

However, the color was not going to work now that I was changing the color of the walls and all the furniture in the room. I thought about painting it Peppercorn like the chest of drawers but....

I went for French Beret instead.  It's the color I used on my window frames in the kitchen and dining room and the two 15 pane doors that lead into the dining room.  Believe it or not, it looks black on those windows and doors which is what I was expecting to achieve. Either this was a mislabeled can of paint or I had added some white to it for some reason at some point.  Regardless, it won't do.  I will figure out something to get it darker.

I ordered a couple things online which is a risk for me because I like to be able to touch and check out most things with my eyes on the actual object.  However, both turned out fine.  One was a small rug to put in front of the large cabinet I use to house the TV.  It was described to be multicolored in green, blue and black.  One review described it as camouflage. That threw me a curve, but I had already ordered it.  You be the judge.
I was happy that it picked up both the wall and trim color and the color of the green cabinet.  There really is very little black in it, but it's fine.

The other online purchase was a quilt for the bed.  I have a queen but ordered a king so that it would hang down the sides.  It does do that but it is also A LOT of extra cover when used for sleeping.  On the plus side it is super warm without the bulk.

Here is a glimpse.  I didn't want the matching shams so that sent me down another rabbit hole.  I will save that for the next post.  I promise it won't be that long. I have been working on an idea and they are almost ready.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a