Skip to main content

The Domino Effect

 

I have admired Young Girl in Green by Tamara de Lempicka since I saw Michael Chippendale's version of it on The Stencil Library blog of April 10, 2013. His reinterpretation is done by painting the image on thousands of dots. When completed the image looks abstract up close but is recognizable from a distance.

When I saw the puzzle shown above at the Puzzle Warehouse I snapped it up immediately.

After completing the puzzle I knew I didn't want to toss it back into the box and store it on a shelf.  The only other option was to brush a thin layer of glue to the back side.  

I found a frame in the garage that was close to the right size but not perfect. So I painted a small border over the existing painting. It needed to be approximately 3/4 inch down each side and about 1/4 inch at the top and bottom.

Once that was dry I brushed a layer of glue onto the painting inside the frame and quickly positioned the puzzle inside the border I had painted. By having the glue on the back of the puzzle it was easier to move without it falling apart. However, once it's down flat there is very little time for adjustments.  I used regular white Elmer's glue that I thinned a bit with water.

The next question is, where am I going to put this?  Well, I did give that a little thought and decided the foyer would be the best spot.  


These bookshelves actually go all the way to floor with two more shelves on each side.  I was able to lay my hands on this particular photo rather quickly and rather than search way back in the archives for another one, I'm going to use this one. Just know the arrangement on the right was changed some time ago.  

I decided this framed puzzle needed to go on the top shelf on the left side because the top shelf is the only place it would fit. 

I think I prefer the frame to sit on the shelf and lean against the wall rather than hanging it.

This is how the right side looks now, but that will have to change.  Much as I love the painting on the top shelf, it will not work with the puzzle on the left. Although, it will definitely find another place in the house.

The lower shelves will also have to be freshened up to complement the changes at the top.  It's almost impossible to make one significant change in a room without upsetting the balance.  Sometimes a change in one room can lead to changes in adjoining rooms as well.  I know this, but sometimes it's the motivation I need to switch things up.

Usually there is some work to do before changing things out.  Unless you can cover it up which is what I did in the previous go around.  The command strips didn't give out behind the big LOL, but the paint did.  One letter was pretty damaged so I switched to the painting you saw above.  That covered the the big mess on the wall so that was good enough for me.  That, however, was not going to work this time.

So a little patching and repainting was in order.

So, what's going in this spot? That's a bit of a story in itself, but I'll just say I finally convinced myself to go for a wall sculpture I found at the Antique Market on the Hill.  It took me three trips back to the Market before I actually bought it.  I discovered it was made by Curtis Jere and when I found the same piece on First Dibs for three times the price, I decided, even with some chipped paint, it was worth it. I touched up the chipped areas and now that the spot is ready I can reveal my five piece band.

I think it was meant to be here.

And, it's a good complement to the Young Girl in Green.


STRIKE UP THE BAND















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a