Skip to main content

A Home For The Soul

Several years ago I came across a book that talked about discovering symbols of the soul that are personal, that tell your story.  It described various ways to create a mandala of your dwelling using these symbols.  This resonated with me as I'm all about my dwelling and making it an extension of myself.  So, I copied several pages from this book and then returned it to the library or the friend that loaned it to me.  I don't have the title or the author either.  However, some of the pages I copied say A HOME FOR THE SOUL at the top.  There  is one page that has a copyright date of 1997. 

I kept those pages for the longest time without ever creating the mandala.  I recently came across this file and I was propelled to assemble a mandala for my new home even though I don't have that home yet.  Or maybe I should say especially because I don't have that new home yet.

This is the layout and can be created with objects, pictures, or anything meaningful to the creator.  The object is to identify the compartments within the psyche that correspond to the rooms found in almost every dwelling place.
The book is over 200 pages, so obviously I cannot give that kind of depth to this post. 

My objective is to say, "I finally did it!" and it was a good experience.  I may have deviated from the directions a little, but I went through a process that was meaningful to me.


The very center compartment represents your spiritual essence.  I chose this picture to represent creativity which is what puts me in my zone and makes me joyful.  It is my center.

Surrounding this center are eight rooms that express a different thread of soul.


Suggestions for the bedroom are images that depict the mystery of sleep or dream images that have special meaning for you.


The upper right corner, the bathoom, is where the soul's desire to care for the body is made tangible.

Right of center is the closet.  Suggestions for this would be how you want to appear to others or the roles you play in your life.


The dining room is bottom center. This could be about nourishment and fullfillment, a feast of all the best life has to offer.

Bottom left is the office.  This could be about expression of talent or an image that relates to work and/or money.

The gathering room is to the left of center.  These images represent how people join together and the reasons they come together.

The solitude room is about inspiration and wisdom.  It is about moments of insight and ways to enjoy solitude.

The kitchen is located bottom right and depicts daily activites of family life or warming qualities of the hearth.  Somehow a turquoise stove just said it all for me.

NEXT:  The outer ring of the mandala.  The four corners represent the elements of fire, earth, air, and water.

FIRE
Lifegiving warmth, such as the sun, stars, fireplaces, candles, and stoves.

WATER
The beauty and power of water, such as rain, snow, dewdrops, lakes, waterfalls, fountains, baptismal fonts, water lilies, or oceans.

EARTH
Nourishing abundance, such as flowers, seeds, trees, valleys, stones, and gems.

AIR
The inspiration of air, such as clouds, a flute, wind chimes, flags in the wind, or curtains lifted by the breeze.

The remaining boxes on the outer ring represent the months of the year.  The qualities of each month should be represented here.  I will show just a sampling.


MARCH
JULY (my birth month)


  I believe that the process involved in creating this mandala enabled me to link inner qualities of consiousness to what I love about architecture and interior design.  You might want to assemble your personal story using this structure.

Comments

  1. Well that should win something somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting . Would like to read the book too. Thanksfor the inspiration
    Ingrid (BYW)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a