Skip to main content

First things First

I promised the story on the vanity as this next post but I am still waiting on the quartz top and showing it without would be, in my opinion, not satisfying.  So, soon, very soon, I hope.  In the meantime we are moving forward.
Step one of this new powder room was to remove the pantry cabinets and relocate them to the basement.  So to refresh, here it is...

and here it isn't.

I should have documented the removal with photos but I was helping where I could and it was too late when I thought of taking pictures.  The doors and shelves were removed first.


Then the trim at the top was removed.  At that point we attempted to remove the entire upper cabinet frame.  Remember, we are in tight quarters here.  It was quite tricky as there was no wiggle room..this was wall to wall cabinet but my brother, Dan, managed it beautifully.  Once it was on the floor some of the top braces had to be cut just to get it through the pantry door.  There was more cutting involved in an attempt to get it down the basement stairs and, finally, as a last resort, one side had to be removed.  This small paragraph does not do the process justice, but only a video could tell the real story.

 Here it is being reassembled in the basement.  There was no back on this cabinet so I backed it with a piece of toile fabric I had on hand.  I didn't realize we would be going straight from tear out to reinstalling the cabinet, so this was a spur of the moment decision.  I measured out the yardage and stapled it to the frame before it became permanently attached to the wall.
I couldn't just use the wall as the back because there was an opening in the wall with a door that opened to reveal chicken wire stretched over the opening. (don't ask!  I have no idea why) 

I think it's going to work out well.  Before I could only reach the bottom two shelves and now I can reach them all.  That's a big plus right there.  There is some trimming out to be done, a little painting, and it will be back in service.

There is a small storage area in the room behind the cabinet wall.  The cabinets overlapped the entrance to this room by 1 1/2 inches so we decided to remove the door and extend the wall to fit the cabinet. 

The entrance to this room is to the left of Dan's hand.  The removal of the door was no big loss because it has never been closed in the 35 yrs. I have lived in this house. (somewhere in the history of the house,  a light was installed in the storage room while the door was open and resting against the wall.  After the fact, I suppose, they realized the door hit the light fixture when it was swung around to close.)

This is the door we removed.  I asked Dan to save the doorknobs for me and he said, "I suppose you want the lockset too."  I shrugged from my observation deck at the top of the stairs.  Then he handed it to me.

My jaw dropped.  Can you believe the detail on something like this?  And it was installed in the basement!


My second shocked response was, "This was here all this time and this is the first time I'm seeing it!" 


My friend, Vicki's, response was, OMG, it's Ralph Lauren.

So what happens to the bottom half of the pantry?
It will not survive although I will save the doors, the drawers, and the piece of wood that forms the counter.  It has the patina of 110 years of use and I know I'll find a way to recyle it.

I did find this advertisement behind the bottom cabinets.
It shows a housewife in her ruffled apron looking out the window at her clean clothes drying on the clothes line.


A  Blue Bird electric clothes washer for only $7.00 down.  They even offer a free demonstration in your own home with your own clothes.  The ad reads: Clothes washed by Blue Bird wear five times longer than when washed on the rub-board.  And if that's not enticement enough....Even the daintiest garments are washed by Blue Bird without the slightest harm.

The back of the card was lined for frequently used phone numbers.  Notice there were only four digits with an exchange as the prefix.  I was hoping to find something interesting (ok, valuable would have been nice) behind the pantry cabinets.  I wasn't disappointed.


Comments

  1. The new powder room is going to be amazing. I'm sure Ralph L would love to see your new/old door hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting finds! Great job Dan on installing the cabinet in the basement. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a