Skip to main content

Down to the Details

Are we there yet?  Well not quite but there is a speck of light at the end of the tunnel.  As we all know, by the time you reach the home stretch on a remodel patience has dipped to the lowest level and just getting it done is top priority.  However, this is the best part.  It doesn't seem right to lose enthusiasm because we are worn down, or don't have any energy left after doing all the tedius stuff.  (sounds a little like retirement, doesn't it?)

So, let's talk about the details.

First off I have a little woodwork issue.











All three floors in my house have identical corner blocks on the trim around the doors.  Some painted and some not.


And a few have been butchered to anchor curtain rods and look like this.  Not by me and evidently not critical enough to have fixed them before this.  But now is the time.  Both sides of the pantry window look like this.


My sister-in-law had given me this product and I thought it might be the solution to my carved up corner blocks.  It mixes with water to form a pasty substance that you put into a container.  I used a plastic leftovers container.


I took this block I had saved from the removal of a doorway on the second floor.  I pressed it face down into the goop and let it set up.  It doesn't take long.


In no time at all it dries to a rubbery mold.  The directions say this mold will last for a week in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.  You can add a damp paper towel for insurance.

Next I added a Plaster of Paris solution.  Because I only wanted the upper corners, that is the part of the mold I used.  (sorry, forgot to get pictures)  That also dries quickly and is also easy to carve.  I trimmed off the edges until it fit my configuration and...

attached it with caulk.  Caulk also helps to fill in any gaps between the original trim and added pieces.  You can see the little "v" shape that needs filling in the top photo.  A little fine sanding and it is ready for the finish.

After priming and painting no one's the wiser.  The black paint is French Beret 1610 Benjamin Moore(same as the dining room windows and doors).  The trim color is Benjamin Moore OC 23 Classic Gray (also same as the dining room trim).  And the walls are Benjamin Moore 1468 called Winterwood.  I love this color!  It is in the Grey family and has a crisp cool look without being cold and forboding like some greys.  I think it is the perfect compliment for black and white.

I went in search of a before picture and this is the best I could do.  Just another example of not thinking far enough ahead to get the right before pictures.  The truth is, these little damaged blocks were not even on my radar until it came time to paint.  It is amazing what we live with day after day and it doesn't bother us...in fact we don't even see it.  Then one day, YIKES, this has to be fixed.

So, another day and one more thing crossed off the "to do" list.

More about details in a follow up post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a