Skip to main content

La Toilette

To eliminate any doubt, I decided to label this new bathroom.
I found this stencil online at Maison Stencils.  Because they custom size, I asked them to make me one twice as big as the size that is offered.

Next my brother built the transom frame. (Sorry, I completely forgot to take photos of the process) Anyway, not as easy as it sounds....lots of math and lots of opportunity for error.
But it turned out great.  We debated whether to stencil the glass before sandwiching it into the frame or after.  We weighed the pros and cons and finally decided it was a toss up.  The toss came up after so I painted both sides of the transom with primer and two coats of paint after the glass was installed. Did I mention that one side of the transom is white and the other side cream?  Although my brother marked the top as L and R, I somehow ignored that and painted layer after layer.  Yes, my 50/50 chance of getting it right by accident failed.  I had put the colors on the wrong sides.  But rather than have me redo it, Dan shaved a little off the edges and made it fit.  Whew!


Now I was ready to place the stencil.  I had more trouble getting this darn thing centered than I should have.  After lots of measuring and adding and dividing of fractions it was still off.  Only then did I realize the outside edge of the mylar was not straight and COULD NOT be used as a guide.  SO, begin again!  Finally, I thought I had it.  Marks showed the center of the glass from left to right and top to bottom.  I placed similar marks on the stencil. All I had to do was line them up after I sprayed the back with spray adhesive.  (well actually the front because I was stencilling the back of the glass therefore I had to lay the stencil face down.)  I'm not a dummy but I was starting to feel like one as I repeatedly checked what was top and which side was white and which was cream.  It was a little crazy but it got a whole lot worse.

Pictures?  PICTURES!  For future reference:  As the stress level rises the photography diminishes.

I taped one side of the stencil in place, Dan held it up and I sprayed it with adhesive and we laid it back in place.  Then all parts of the frame had to be covered to protect them from overspray. (Yes, that lovely protection is junk mail I pulled from the trash.)


 I was using spray for this stencil....not my usual method but I planned to frost the glass to make my stencil.
I took precautions to protect my cabinets and still they had overspray in impossible places.  So maybe that explains why I also had some cleaning up to do on the glass itself.  I think I'll just mention that it's not perfect and let it go at that.

I thought about scraping it all off with a razor blade and starting over until my brother mentioned that the second time might turn out worse than the first.  So it is what it is, finished.

The door below the transom is frosted too... for privacy.  It is done in stripes and OMG, no, I didn't do it.  I bought it that way and trust me there is a significant upcharge for the stripes.  Clearly, I get that now.

This is a small room so photographing it is a bit of a challenge.  But then, why should that be any different than the rest of this project.  Challenges abound in a remodel of a 110 year old home.



For those who saw the door reflected in a mirror on a previous post, yes, we now have a handle with a lock on the door.  But, no window treatment just yet, so the guest bath is still not ready for guests.

Another little but important feature is the door stop.  My brother devised this cute little stop when I nixed the modern options available.












I got so caught up in the process that I forgot about taking pictures.  The two parts above were once one.  Dan took them apart, added a double ended screw and attached it to the baseboard.


I added the paint for a unique doorstop that protects my wallpaper from being damaged by the door handle.  Just another one of the many details involved in remodel.

And, I might add, justification for all the crap I save because it might come in handy some day.

I am linking to:   Creative Me Linky Party

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a