Skip to main content

In the Name of Change

Adding a powder room to my first floor caused a domino effect to, well to the whole house really.  Some things changed because there was no choice, some things because they didn't look as good next to the new changes, and some things just because I felt like something different.



This dining room table falls into the last category.  I loved this table for many reasons.  With the leaves it expands to 120" and it measures 44" wide.  It rests on two beautiful pedestals and is super sturdy.  The chairs are elegant with their high backs, and comfortable too.  So why change?  My excuses are a little flimsy.  It is big and the high backs on the chairs visually contribute to the large presence in the room.  I thought a little breathing room would be nice for A CHANGE.  Isn't it sometimes just about a change?


Besides, I had purchased this darling little table at a resale shop.  It was for the new home that didn't materialize so I decided to use it in place of the current dining room table.


One major drawback was the laminate top.  It was a white that had yellowed slightly. (not to the extent that it looks in this picture)  But no matter how white or how yellow, it didn't suit me or the table.

I started out by priming the entire piece.


I painted the legs and apron a light gray and drybrushed it in white.


The details needed a little more omph.  I planned to emphasize those with the wax coat.

I used wax tinted with black stain to emphasize those details.  I have to admit, I'm not totally thrilled with those results but...

 not disappointed enough to rework it.


Then it was time to attack the top.  I knew I was going to use venetian plaster from the time I purchased the table. I did not photograph my first attempt that involved using a can of venetian plaster I had on hand. I ended up scraping that mess off because it had small lumps in it.  Some of the primer let loose in the process, so I had to remove all the primer from that section and start over.
The saga continued with me adding layer upon layer of shades of venetian plaster.

When I had a pattern I liked, I sanded it with 400 and 600 grit sandpaper as the manufacturer suggested but it would not burnish well.


I had the original gallon tinted a light gray and then added black tint myself to small amounts of the original.  I do wish they sold venetian plaster in quarts.  I threw away the lumpy gallon and it was 3/4 full.  At over $35 a gallon, that hurts.  After several layers on this table, I have barely put a dent in this new gallon.  I understand this product is generally used for walls but a pint is plenty for a table top. 

I am still not 100% satisfied with the table but I'm waiting on the chairs to cast my final vote.  Part of my hesitation is the scale of the piece.  I am not sure it will hold up to the rest of the furniture in the room.  So expect a follow up post on this decision.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a