Skip to main content

Organized???

I have lived by the philosophy, "I rather get it done than get it organized."  Like most everyone, I was busy and when it wasn't a "have to" busy it was a "want to" busy.  And even though I would rate myself a 4 or 5 on an organizational scale, I had a fairly good memory and a big house, so I could afford organized clutter.  Now that I have less demands on my time, I am sorting and arranging all that clutter.  My main reason:  I want related things in one place so I can avoid trips to the garage, the basement, and the third floor when I am in the middle of a project.

Enough explanation.  I started with the room that has many names...office, craft room, media center and, well, storage.
 
This piece I moved from another room.  It was under utilized and the perfect place to start my mission.

It has 3 pull out drawers behind the doors on the bottom right.  I used the top one for rubber stamps.  (no hunting, digging or wondering where the skeleton stamp is when Halloween rolls around.)

The second and third drawers are for decorative paper, card stock, and vellum.

The left hand side has shelves where I am storing cigar boxes that have been labeled with things like, colored chalk, tags, alphabets, and such.  The bottom shelf holds baskets of small trim, ribbon pieces and paper punches.
Behind the glass doors I have books, framed photos, and a few decorative items and keepsakes.

Now for the obvious,  a wall of closet space!  Originally there was only one closet in this room.  It was behind the single door on the left next to the window.  The space above where you see the small doors was dead space.

This shot is taken from the room on the opposite side of the closets you see above.  A doorway in the center connected the two rooms and there was a closet on the left behind the door you see here.

Many years ago, I had that wall demolished, closed the doorway between the rooms, and had an entire wall of closets built to face the room I am showing you here.  It was a huge boost to closet square footage.


Behind the two middle doors I have my computer, printer, scanner, shredder, and my TV/monitor.  (I recently bought the TV and, per my son's suggestion, hooked it up as my montitor.  I have to order the bracket that will attach it to the wall and open up more desk space.  Then I will be able to finish off the interior walls with something decorative. (most likely family photos on all the available wall space)

This little chair (a freebie from my brother) is a perfect fit to slide under the desktop when the doors are closed.  As you can see it has had it's fair share of use and is in need of reupholstering.  I'll address that another day.
I found this lamp at St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop. I did absolutely nothing to it but clean the price sticker off the base and add a light bulb.

One of my favorite things is attached to the back of one door.  I LOVE these old pencil sharpeners.  In my opinion, the electric ones are pencil eaters.  I found this one, cleaned it, spray painted it, and added a little pin stripping tape.  It works great and that makes me happy.  It's the little things, right?

Directly above this opening is where I am storing my family photos. (sorted and labeled, thank you very much!)

To the right of that bank of doors, behind the single door on the right, you will find...

BUTTONS...
and more BUTTONS all sorted by color,


RIBBON hung on tension rods,

SCISSORS,

EMBROIDERY FLOSS, (an idea I saw on Pinterest)
and COLORED PENCILS.

Below the shelves I have a fishing tackle box loaded with smalls,

a basket for yarn and ball fringe, and a few other things like my briefcase and file folder for receipts.

Do I sound pleased with myself?  Guess I am.  This particular space took steadfast, diligent, determination and lots of hours to complete.  But it is so exciting to open it knowing I am going to find exactly what I am looking for.

Behind the rest of the doors are things not nearly as interesting, but necessary, so we'll skip that part.

My desk has two hidden (no handle) drawers for basic desk stuff like thank you cards, pens, and stamps.  And also serves as a little secret hiding space.

 I found this rubber stamp holder in a pile of junk at a garage sale. I thought it was too cute to pass up.  A good scrubbing and some rust removal with a vinegar soak and it was ready for display.

Two more drawers in the room are for projects in progress...out of sight unless I am working on them.

And in case you didn't connect this room to a previous post, right through this pocket door is a large table for laying out the latest project.

As I mentioned earlier, it is hard to label this room...craft?, office?, media?

 I think I've settled on Therapy Room.  That most accurately covers it all. 

In my next post I'll give you a 360 of the room and then move on to something new.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a