I decided to use a different mirror too.
This one I pulled from my stash.
Naturally it didn't stay gold.
I wasn't quite satisfied with the solid color,
so I added French Beret in the crevices and wiped off the excess.
The radiator needed to be a different color too. But what?
The fixture I ordered on line. One small problem... the previous light had no switch on the wall...just a little turn button. The new fixture was not equipped with such a button. However, this is one of those times when a hiccup turns out to be a plus. Dan equipped my new fixture with a touch sensor and it's 3-way! Yay!!
Here is a view from the opposite side. I had added the dado many years ago in an attempt to camouflage dirty little handprints from showing up on a white wall. I was now ready to go back although I must admit I find that I occasionaly steady myself on that wall now.
Notice the black baseboards...hmmm?
This shows it going away. I wish I could say it was simple and quick.
But there were other cracks and imperfections and this was the time to fix those too.
And as long as you're at it, right?
This process continued up to the third floor and lasted for three days. Then there was sanding and cleanup to prepare for priming and painting.
So much for simple.
Obviously I was not the one doing this work.
I got back into the picture when it came to the window. I washed, caulked and primed what I could reach. That upper right corner was just not accessible...to me anyway.
I persuaded Dan to prime that section.
I kept with my theme of painting the frame around the window in French Beret. The sill looks good in the same black. I'm waiting for Dan to come back with his ladder and and longer arms to finish the job.
If you recall, the baseboards going up the stairs were black. Now they are all light and bright with a coat of OC-23 Classic Gray. The walls are still about two weeks away from getting painted. I'm on the list and waiting my turn. Once the painting is complete, I will freshen up the floors and this area will be finished.
This is the view from the kitchen...the one room untouched by this renovation. You probably guessed the reason for that. $$$ =)
I realize I have not given you the final pictures of the foyer but I'm hoping to accessorize the shelves and have that ready for viewing by the next post.
I finally decided on
While this was getting done, Chuck was busy priming and painting the stairwell and second floor hall.
I opted for the Pale Oak all the way to the top. I don't intend to repaint this area for a REALLY long time and this was about as neutral as I could get. Besides it is light and brightens up these areas that get minimum daylight.