Skip to main content

Bark Cloth Drape

For those of you who missed the decision making process on what fabric to use in the foyer, you can read about it here.
Most everyone was in agreement on using the bark cloth, pinch pleated drape that I had purchased at an antique mall.


I knew I did not want the pleats, so they were ripped out first.

The single drape measured 141 inches wide.  It was constructed from three widths of fabric and was wider than I needed. 


It so happens it was also shorter than required.  My plan was to hang it between the window and the door at door height.


 I ripped out one seam and used that one width of fabric to cut two pieces to add to the bottom.  Getting all of this to line up was a bit of a feat.  It is not absolutely perfect all the way across but close enough not to be noticable.  As you can see in the above photos, it was also lined.  That meant doing all this twice, although, no matching was required for the lining which did make it easier. 

My plan was to use a very simple rod.  Much as I like the lovely decorative finials, this just wasn't the place for them.  I needed the drape to come up against the casing of the door and I didn't want a finial that stuck past the casing.  Nor did I want a finial bumping up against the bookcase. That made it an easy decision.  Finding it was a little harder.

 Small ring clips were used to attach the curtain to the rod.
Once the walls were painted my brother hung the rod.  First, however, he had  to cut three wooden circles as back plates to keep the screws from pulling out.  Even mounting those back circles was tricky.  Once I told him where I wanted them to be, he drilled, and twice out of three times he drilled into thin air.  So the "ideal" location had to be shifted slightly until he hit something solid behind that plaster. 

Thus, the end by the door is slightly farther from the casing than I planned.  However, because of the fullness of the folds it is working out fine.

Now I have to decide if I want to leave the window and door glass completely uncovered.  For now I'm ok with that.  If something moves across my radar that I think will be good with everything else, I'll consider it.

I do love the pattern and the colors of this fabric.

 I'm thrilled that it's working here.

One thing that was driving me crazy was the messy glazing job on the outside of the window.  As you probably know, cleaning that stuff off and redoing it is far from easy.  It was certainly not a job I wanted to tackle...not right now anyway.

Once again brother Dan came up with a quick and easy solution.


Quarter inch pin strip tape from the automotive store.


Applied as a border on the inside glass it was enough to hide the mess.  And because my window sash is painted French Beret, it was the perfect fix.

I published this post and then realized I didn't take a picture from this angle.


Comments

  1. Love the way the drape hangs! Neat idea border to cover the window edge! Way to go, you two masterminds! Marg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a