Sunday, May 12, 2013

Bark Cloth Drape

For those of you who missed the decision making process on what fabric to use in the foyer, you can read about it here.
Most everyone was in agreement on using the bark cloth, pinch pleated drape that I had purchased at an antique mall.


I knew I did not want the pleats, so they were ripped out first.

The single drape measured 141 inches wide.  It was constructed from three widths of fabric and was wider than I needed. 


It so happens it was also shorter than required.  My plan was to hang it between the window and the door at door height.


 I ripped out one seam and used that one width of fabric to cut two pieces to add to the bottom.  Getting all of this to line up was a bit of a feat.  It is not absolutely perfect all the way across but close enough not to be noticable.  As you can see in the above photos, it was also lined.  That meant doing all this twice, although, no matching was required for the lining which did make it easier. 

My plan was to use a very simple rod.  Much as I like the lovely decorative finials, this just wasn't the place for them.  I needed the drape to come up against the casing of the door and I didn't want a finial that stuck past the casing.  Nor did I want a finial bumping up against the bookcase. That made it an easy decision.  Finding it was a little harder.

 Small ring clips were used to attach the curtain to the rod.
Once the walls were painted my brother hung the rod.  First, however, he had  to cut three wooden circles as back plates to keep the screws from pulling out.  Even mounting those back circles was tricky.  Once I told him where I wanted them to be, he drilled, and twice out of three times he drilled into thin air.  So the "ideal" location had to be shifted slightly until he hit something solid behind that plaster. 

Thus, the end by the door is slightly farther from the casing than I planned.  However, because of the fullness of the folds it is working out fine.

Now I have to decide if I want to leave the window and door glass completely uncovered.  For now I'm ok with that.  If something moves across my radar that I think will be good with everything else, I'll consider it.

I do love the pattern and the colors of this fabric.

 I'm thrilled that it's working here.

One thing that was driving me crazy was the messy glazing job on the outside of the window.  As you probably know, cleaning that stuff off and redoing it is far from easy.  It was certainly not a job I wanted to tackle...not right now anyway.

Once again brother Dan came up with a quick and easy solution.


Quarter inch pin strip tape from the automotive store.


Applied as a border on the inside glass it was enough to hide the mess.  And because my window sash is painted French Beret, it was the perfect fix.

I published this post and then realized I didn't take a picture from this angle.


1 comment:

  1. Love the way the drape hangs! Neat idea border to cover the window edge! Way to go, you two masterminds! Marg

    ReplyDelete