Skip to main content

A Fun Filled Bag

Yesterday I made a run to the Habitat Restore to buy a replacement globe for the sconce in my second floor hallway.  Because I was only a couple blocks from another favorite charity resale shop, of course, it made perfect sense to pop in for a quick look.  Turns out they were having a "flea market" in their hallway to move some of their smaller items.  I picked up two things and was ready to check out when I learned that it was all you can stuff in a shopping bag for $5.  I decided I better have another look.


 This is what that second glance got me.

An 60"x118" cotton table cloth from Linens and Things marked $19.99 in the original packaging (never opened).  Not a lot of call for this motif in the Midwest but who knows when a luau party will pop up on the calendar.. There is a possibility my brother will be visiting from Hawaii this Fall.

Also part of this haul were the basket, the glasses, and a set of 10 beautifully scalloped cut-out embroidered napkins.  The decorative balls were not part of this purchase.
 
I picked those up the day before at a yard sale less than a block from my house.  There were nine, but two rolled off the table as I was setting up for this shot.  Darn!  But still a deal at seven for $2.50 and that included a the red glass vase that contained them.
 
I had to take a close up shot of the napkins to show off the cut work embroidery.  They had a price tag of $15 which really was not bad for 10 napkins.
 
I also picked up a pair of twisted birdcage finials by Graber.  Again, still in the original package...never opened.  They will come in handy sometime, somewhere.
 
 
 Also included was this framed print.

And these lovely photos nicely framed and matted.

But the item that intrigued me the most was this artwork.  It was placed off to the side of the check out and I presumed it was already sold, but I inquired about it anyway.  Turns out it wasn't and into the bag it went.  It was only after I got it home that I realized it was signed. (M A McColl)  I removed the paper from the back and written on the cardboard backing was the following information.

Title:  "Milk-weed"
Artist: Mary McColl
Price: $50.00

I googled her name, and if I have the right Mary A. McColl, she was born in Ontario, Canada and lived in Missouri.  She is known for landscape and still life.  I am hoping to discover more about this artist but for now I'm just going to enjoy her work.

I have always thought it would be fun to win one of those shopping sprees where you get to keep everything you can throw into a shopping cart in 60 seconds.  This was my version and I have to tell you it was rather a kick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a