Skip to main content

A Better Option

Remodeling and decorating an entire room in one fell swoop has some hidden hazards.  Turns out one of those popped up when I redid my foyer.  I was moving along from built ins, to fireplace tile, to paint and drapes and I was pretty happy with how it was coming together.  Somewhere in the process I decided I needed new fabric for the chairs that I wanted to use in the room.  Sadly, the cushions I recently paid too much to have made, were not going to work with the drapes in this room.

 I was on a mission to find different fabric and make them myself.  Somehow that was supposed to redeem me from spending too much the first time, and now discarding them altogether.

 I constructed them myself, but,  I was not totally satisfied with the results.  The fabric was just ok and the fabrication was so-so.  But, I guilted myself into believing they would be just fine.  Little did I know I was totally setting myself up for a change.  Those suppressed doubts play around in the subconscious and eventually pop out in the strangest ways.


This is how it happened.  My brother, John, dropped off two ottomans he scooped up from curbside trash pickup.  He rightly assumed I might want them.  They sat around for about four months as I thought where I might use them.  I tried them in the guest room, but that wasn't going to work.

When I carried them down to the first floor I placed them in the foyer just to have them out of my way until I decided what to do with them.

Well, they started to grow on me in that room and I decided to search again for fabric that would go with my drapes.

I found this piece on www.fabric.com and ordered a swatch.  Turns out I really liked it with the floor in the foyer and proceeded to order enough for the ottomans and....

yes, those darn cushions were now going to be recovered again.


One last look at the cushions in the short lived fabric.

Now imagine them in this fabric.  Third time's a charm, right?


Next step was to deliver everything to the upholsterer.  For about 15 seconds I considered doing them myself.  Then I rushed them off to the upholsterer before that thought had a chance to manifest.

Today was the day they came back home.  With this pattern I would have regretted attempting to upholster these myself.
 
There is a seam on each side about six inches above the piping and that's a tough match as it curves on the ends.

Here they are in front of the fireplace waiting for someone who wants to put their feet up.

And about those seat cushions....they are finished as well.
 
I like this fabric, but I also like that there is more of it than just on the cushions.
 
It doesn't look like it in this picture but these ottomans are actually wider at one end than the other.
 
It is really hard to see but the end closest to the chair is one and a half inches wider than the other end.  I think it gives them style....a little flair, if you will.
 
I wouldn't want all my decorating to take three tries to get it right.
 
But in this case, I think it was worth it to persist until I was totally satisfied.
 

Comments

  1. I love the fabric on the ottomans and the upholstery job is excellent. I think it adds to the utility of the room by adding more seating making it more conversation area friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool ottomans and look great redone! Love the fabric; they match so well with the whole look in that room!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a