Monday, May 19, 2014

Vintage Suitcase #1



This is one of those back burner projects that I rediscovered recently.  It seemed like the right time to give it some attention.

As you can see it looks a little rough but it still opens and closes and I was pretty sure I could make it look better than it does here.

I lightly sanded the metal corners and latches to remove some of the rust.  I tried to match the dull silver color but in the end went for chrome.

Here you can see the before and after between the top of the latch and the rest of the metal hardware.

The metal seemed to need that reflective quality.

I painted the body a color called French Beret.  There was lots of cutting in to be done around all the metal and that became a little tedious but it was so worth it.

I tried out a new stencil that just arrived in the mail.  This is just a portion of the stencil, but I thought it was all that was needed on this project.

It is an easy piece to move around for pictures so I got a little carried away.

I think it will be a nice staging piece for other projects.

What else can I say about this except that I love it.

Just a couple more shots.  Actually I had to force myself to stop.  I was trying it in almost every room of the house.

Ok, time to go.

Adieu.

1 comment: