I have had this suitcase in my pile and it looked ok, but clearly it doesn't look so great standing by itself.
I thought about several ways to hide the stains on this one.
In retrospect, I didn't make the best choice. But I'll save that for later.
I have been trying to use materials I have on hand. So instead of rushing out for another quart of paint, I mixed about five colors to achieve the right bluish green.
I wanted to use this color to cover the reddish brown on the ends of the case.
I was really happy with this color and very excited about the doing the rest of the makeover.
I took the metal parts from a beat up gold (top latch) to the bronze of the bottom hardware.
My idea was to use this toile remnant to cover the rest of the suitcase.
I did the lid first and that turned out pretty well.
Then I started on the bottom. This is messy, messy work and you have to work quickly because the medium drys very fast. I have found that it's best to let it dry before trying to trim around the hardware or cut off the overhang.
As this side started to dry I could could see that I had a problem. That awful stain was bleeding right through my beautiful fabric.
Not a pretty sight and so disappointing. There wasn't much I could do. At this point it was stuck and so was I.
So after all that, I now have a vintage suitcase covered in a very pretty but stained toile.
FYI, the paint color I mixed is much closer to the color of the fabric than it looks in these pictures. I can't explain that one. You'll just have to imagine it being so.
My blog is focused on what I saw, heard about, or encountered during my day. I ZOOM IN on things I find particularly interesting, beautiful, or humorous. My interests overlap and mesh in the fields of interior design, rehab, photography, architecture, color, and anything painted. Throw in salvage, bargain hunting, recycling and that summarizes what you are likely to find on this page.