Skip to main content

Mini Post #2 Tree Card

Let me be real clear about the word "mini" in the title.  It has nothing to do with the amount of time it takes to complete one of these projects.

                                                                                             (blogblom.blogspot.be)
Adorable, right?  Simple?  Yes, one would think.  Well, I won't tell you how long it took me to complete this little project.

I found a backer board in the studio and I had some scrap cork material on hand.  I also had some tacky glue to meld the two together.  The glue was in one of those tall economical plastic bottles and I have had it for awhile.  There was about 1 1/2 inches in the very bottom.  After using lots of hot water and a pliers to get the cap off, I realized it would take a day and half for the glue to make it's way to the opening.  So, I used a knife to cut off the top 3/4 of the plastic container.  Rather than run back out to the studio to get a brush, I decided to just smear some glue on the backer board with my fingers.  Turns out the glue was really thick and tacky and was not spreading well, so I started adding a little water as I went.  Finally I had the board covered.  I smoothed on the cork and laid a couple heavy books on top while it dried. (rolled up cork does not want to lay flat...just thought I'd mention that.)  Now I realize I have glue in several spots on a perfectly good black top.  Off comes the shirt so I can wash it out before it sets up.  The clock is ticking away and I'm just getting started.


I get my coffee every morning from the Gelateria Del Leone and I saved a bunch of the cup sleeves on the off chance I could use them for something.  Since they are corrugated I thought I'd use these as part of my tree.  Then I got the idea to make this a Christmas card for the baristas.

I assembled a few more scraps and played around with arrangement.  Somehow mine was not looking quite like that cute little tree on Pinterest.  I tried a few different layouts and then decided to just go for it and start gluing.  This time I used the glue gun.

I tried the button idea and it was OK, but not great on my tree.  I decided to use the Gelateria logo as my tree topper.  I added a little extra mane to the lion with a piece of twine that I feathered out.  That little white dot is a straight pin.  Once you cut off the shank of the pin to the right length, it pokes nicely into the cork backing.  (Wire cutters are in the basement.  Add that to the list of stuff that is now on the table...glue gun, scissors, paper cutter, vellum, twine, pins, cardboard, white card stock, Christmas cards, buttons, and lots of slivers of paper and cardboard)

I cut "Happy Holidays" from a Christmas card in lieu of using the red/white ribbon on the sample.

I trailed a little twine from top to bottom to add more interest.

My copy cat projects take on a life of their own.  I try not to fall in love with the Pinterest version because I know mine won't be just like it.  But I still have to warm up to my own when it's finished.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a