Skip to main content

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

Every item that goes into a kitchen seems to be pretty expensive these days and the prettier the item, the more expensive it gets.

(bhg.com)
This basket weave apron, for example, is quite pretty although I think it might require a little extra effort to keep it spotless.

(countryliving.com)
This hammered sink really appeals to me.  Love the texture it provides without breaking up the sleek lines of this sink front.

(oldhouseonline.com)
This one truly does have that farmhouse look, but takes it a little further than I want for my kitchen.

(uploadedbyuser)
Like the rounded corners and the texture of this one.  I have a white sink now and, although it is a bit of extra work to keep it looking like new, I'm tempted to go this route again.

(bhg.com)
Pretty sure this one is not in the budget.  So let's move on to something that might be within reach.

(Traditional Home October 2002)
Soapstone is probably also out of the question.  This one was carved out of a single block of dosa stone to eliminate all seams and make it easier to keep clean.


This one looks a little boring by comparison but I must remind myself, something in the room has to take the backseat or I'd have everything in the front seat trying to drive the design.


I took these pictures in the showroom so that I could discuss this counter top application with my brother.
Notice that all of the above sinks are single bowl.

I have an offset divided bowl right now and I love that feature.  I'm not sure I want to forego that feature for the farm house sink.  Something usually comes into play to make such decisions easier.  What will it be this time?


Some with two bowls are wider than the space I can carve out for a sink.

I prefer one bowl to be smaller than the other too.

This Kohler in cashmere is very cool.  Divided bowl, low divide, shorter apron, but alas, it measures 35.5 inches.  Well, that and the fact that it is a little pricey.  I'm starting to waver on the apron part.  I remain convinced it would be beautiful, but I can't really justify paying 3 x what a conventional sink would cost.

(Blanco)
However, if I forego the apron front, I could get this offset 33" double bowl in metallic gray.  The left bowl is 18" and the right bowl is 12."  It also has the lower divide.  But, I checked out the color you see here (looks perfect doesn't it?) ...nope...the metallic gray has flecks of glitter in it.  Completely threw me when I saw it.
I checked out some cast iron colors from Kohler and there are some lovely colors from which to choose. All this deliberation about which beautiful sink is best and in the end, none of that really matters.  I visited two showrooms today and then spend several more hours checking model after model online.  My conclusion: Texture, color, design, and price are immaterial if it won't fit in the allotted space.  And my allotted space rules out everything I have been drooling over.  I suppose I avoided that fact because I wanted to fantasize and wallow in the options.  But, that's over now.  Time to face facts.

But....turns out facing facts is not such a bad thing.  Sometimes there is a way to alter the facts.  So down that rabbit hole I went.  It led me to exploring 18" wide dishwashers and the pros and cons of such a choice.  This would allow me to have a 36" sink base that all the sinks I admire seem to require.  The other option would be to have a narrower bank of drawers to the left of the sink or...continue to steal a few inches by overlapping the back door casing as the current dishwasher does now.  Ahhh, not sure yet.  Still in the thinking stages on this one.

(mrspollyrogers.com)
But while we're still "thinking" about it, could this be a possibility?  
You can see me running in circles over all this, can't you?  I will eventually settle on something but you will have to stay tuned to find out what that ends up being.  Right now I'm headed back to the showroom to look at Silgranite sinks in the colors of cinder and anthracite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a