Skip to main content

Bits and Pieces

It's hard to measure progress on the kitchen project this week, but I will give a brief recap of what I can gather together.
Ron put the hardwood back in the refrigerator closet....what he could salvage that is.  Then he filled in with some leftover pieces.  It won't matter because....
on Sunday I met with the floor guy to talk about screening the hardwood and putting on a fresh coat of poly.  Turns out a screening won't do the job, so a full sanding is in order.  There are some badly worn spots by the back door and in front of the sink.  Ugh!  More dust!!

Because the finish is coming off completely, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get rid of the golden yellow in the floor.  The sander guy gave me a sample of the only gray he offers.  That didn't really work for me.  So I set off to see my guys at Paint Supply on South Grand.  Doug worked with me to mix a gray.  It looked way darker on the board I took with me than it does on my floors at home.  I'm a little undecided but I don't want to go too dark.  Dark floors really show the dust about two seconds after you clean them and it's downhill from there.  A little more experimentation is necessary.

It looks a little pink here but I don't really have a problem with that.  I need to add a little poly and see what that does to it.

Now, about that window over the sink.

A lot of filling in happened around this window so that tidied things up some.

 Some taping and sanding and priming of the walls took place too. (That wall to wall shelf really stands out as creamy white now that the walls are primed.  Very distracting and I couldn't wait to paint it the same OC-23 as the rest of the woodwork.)

Finally ready for a coat of primer and a good-bye to the green ceiling.

The medallion was fitted for the wall behind the stove.  Because the border is 1 1/4 inches deep, it would not line up well with 1/4 thick tile.  So Dan cut a groove in the drywall and pushed the frame into the groove.  I had sprayed it will a primer before they installed it.  Now whatever I chose to do to the finish will most likely have to be done in place.

I stand corrected.  It can come down to be painted and reinstalled with ease.  Yay!!!

Because the floor sanders will be here on Monday, we had to scurry around and get one coat of paint on the walls and ceiling.

Remember I chose the lovely shade of gray called portland gray?  The large sample second from the left is the one.  Looks nothing like what you see in this next photo but when you place it on top of the painted wall they do look exactly the same.  Paint is really tricky.  It's best to have a glass or two of wine to cope with the surprises.

The cutting in process began on the walls.  I actually stood and watched the paint dry.  Even at this point I had some doubts but decided to see it through.  And just in case you are wondering, the ceiling has been painted pink.  I'll talk about that later.

Portland gray is really a beautiful color....at certain times of the day in my kitchen.  Early morning, dusk and evening it looks spectacular.  The rest of the day, depending on how the light is coming into the room, it is lavender!  Seriously, it is a little princess dress and with the pink ceiling it is over the top sweet.  So after the guys left, I went back to the paint store and picked up a gallon of abalone.  Not sure if you can tell in this photo but I have cut in the abalone over the top of the portland gray.

Here they are in the paint deck.  You can see that the portland gray is rich and full bodied.  Really a lovely color.  I thought about trying to tweak it by adding a little green then decided it might be better just to leave it behind and move on.

Here is another shot of the abalone as I cut in over the portland gray.  In this picture the portland gray looks great but I knew I could not live with the lavender from 8-5 every day.  This picture was taken in the late afternoon.

Here you can see just a little of the portland gray sticking out on the left hand side.  These colors are about the same intensity.  Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I had them hold back 25% on the colorant recommended for the abalone.

You know how the walls change color depending on how the light is hitting them?  Here is a perfect example.  All the walls are now painted abalone (less 25% of the formula).  But see how the wall on the right looks like a totally different color?  I'm really OK with that.  I think it makes the room more interesting.  But there are times when it just doesn't work.  Need I mention the wine again?

 I'm good with the walls. It's a nice neutral backdrop and it works much better with the color of the woodwork.   But I'm still thinking about the ceiling.  Nothing will happen with that until the electric is changed for two pendant lights.  And why didn't we do that first?  Well, because there is a chance that I will be "getting" an island.  I don't know what it looks like or how big it is so we can't space the lights yet.  The island story will have to be posted later because right now I don't have a thing to tell you.  This mystery island is literally 100 miles away and until it arrives I don't even know if it will want it.

What I do know is that this coming week will be all about the floor.

 The pantry cabinet and the chandelier have been buttoned up to prevent fine sawdust from coating everything.  We will see how well that works.

And today is my last day to use the stove before it it gets disconnected.  Looks like I will be eating a lot of salads until this project is completed.

Comments

  1. Who doesn't love a lavender 24/7? I could take it. The grays shifting with the light is what I enjoy in my kitchen thanks to your prompting, Tricia. I see you enjoyed your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a