Skip to main content

Reclaimed Wood

My version of reclaiming wood was salvaging the cedar on the walls of my enclosed back porch. When the porch was built these walls were a light creamy white, but over the years they turned orange and a blotchy orange at that.

At one point I had a little roof leak which added to the streaky mess on parts of the ceiling.

This is the entrance I use daily and the entrance used by almost everyone who comes to my house, I thought it might be time to come up with an improvement plan.

After discussing it with my brother, Dan, I decided to take his advice and scrub the walls with TSP.
The ceiling....well, more on that later.


This was the color of the water after just a few passes with the scrub brush.  Then came the rinse cycle and way too many trips to the sink for fresh water.

This is what this section looked like after it was scrubbed clean.



Dan and I discussed the weathered wood recipes we had seen on Pinterest.  After some deliberation I decided to give it a try.  I tested it on an inconspicuous spot.  This was taken after brushing on the black tea.  A meaningless shot since I took it while it was still wet.

This is the tea I used but any black tea should do the trick.

They suggest letting it steep for about 25 minutes.  At one point in the process I think I left the tea sit for two whole days before using it. That didn't seem to affect anything.

It is difficult to see any change in the color of the wood after the tea dries.  However, when you brush on the vinegar that has been sitting in a jar with steel wool, it does darken. This shot shows it while still wet with vinegar.

This shows the dramatic change in color.  Again this is still wet and it does lighten as it dries.

I let the first coat of vinegar dry and then brushed on a second coat.

You may have notice in the previous picture that the window trim on the large window had changed color.  The trim around the rest of the windows received the same tea and vinegar treatment.

The double doors really stood out once the walls were subdued.  Of course, it was part of the plan to paint them.

That little strip of wood above the blinds had been stained to match the doors and the large window.

That too needed to be painted.  This is just the primer coat.

Now about that ceiling.  There was just no way I was going to scrub and rinse that entire ceiling and then give it three coats of tea and vinegar.  Besides, it would have been too dark.  So I enlisted Dan to prime and paint it the same color as the painted brick wall.  I know painting the ceiling before staining the walls would have made way more sense but I was winging it and not sure where I was going when I started.  So, the walls had to be protected with plastic.



A little bonus is that the light colored ceiling bounces more light into the kitchen.

The doors went from this...

to this.


I was avoiding showing the floor in the previous picture.  I have some thoughts about what to do about the floor but have not decided for sure on that.  So the threshold you see in front of the doors is on hold until I decide on the floor.

The same goes for the tabletop in the corner.  (In case you are wondering, that box in the corner gives headroom to the outside stairs leading to the basement.

Since this post is really about the walls, I wanted to give broad shots of the room.  However, they show up very dark when shooting into the bright windows.

Other than the floor, there is one more detail to be worked out.

Like what to do about lighting.  The current lighting is the ceiling fan shown here minus the blades that were removed for ease in painting the ceiling.  The solution may have to be saved for another post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a