Skip to main content

Inching Along

Dare I say we are getting to the final layer?  In some areas maybe.  There is still some electrical and some plumbing to do.  And there is also painting to finish.  Progress on the facade is at a standstill until it makes it through approval by Cultural Resources.  But, I can give a progress report of sorts.

I have been experimenting with a stencil that I purchased for the second floor.  This was the first sample.  I have never tried rolling a stencil with a sponge roller, but it would sure make this job go faster.  There was some bleeding but I think I've come up with a method to alleviate that problem.


I also thought the first try had too much contrast.  I kept the same background color but went over the ginkgo leaf with a lighter grayish/taupe.  I also considered some metallic gold on the fringes,  That could work, but it is labor intensive, and given the amount of wall I need to cover, I ruled it out.


The bar tile is in place but not grouted yet.  There was a major detour on the bar top.  After having the template made and making the down payment, I was informed the Silestone in Steel had been discontinued.  That derailed the train for days until a replacement could be found.

Because I got really busy and didn't finish this post...the tile on the bar is now grouted.


The service counter also has most of the tile in place.  This top had to be reworked and a second template had to be made before the work order could processed.



The doors finally arrived for the bathrooms.  Once those are installed and trimmed out, the final tile can be installed.
Oops! Spoke too soon.  Another setback.

 Sink and faucet were installed....not to mention tile!  AND THEN....another leak!  Not the same bathroom. Just another failed snap ring taking the blame.  I took this after the fix and after the drywall was patched back.  Retiling and regrouting on the horizon. Searching for a new plumber, added to the list.



More work has been done on the banquette seating and some of it has been delivered.  Next comes foam and upholstery.  Are you getting the idea that we are not as close to the finish line as we should be?

I swear I took a picture of this beautious fixture BEFORE they hung that awful EXIT sign, but I cannot find it.  Not to whine...too much....but this is the kind of thing that is repeated on a weekly basis.  Just when my spirit soars, there seems to be a little tether that brings me down a notch.  It is one of the pitfalls of commercial design.


Viewed from another angle, you can eliminate the exit sign and add in the HVAC vent.


On a positive note, the lift that carries the food from the kitchen to the second floor should be ready in a few days.


This baby was a tough, tough install.  Everyday for weeks there was a redo or adjustment to be made.  But it is in the shaft and has traveled to the top.  Now it's just a matter of closing it up and making it look pretty. 

Currently trying to figure a way to hang eight pendants over the bar.  It looks like plenty of room but it's only 50 inches.  Track rails have to go below the I-beam and somehow miss that monstrous mess of metal,

It runs smack in the middle of the bar top.  That happens to be the one thing I asked them to avoid.
Imagine that?  
We might have a bunch of drinkers bumping their heads on the way out.


In the meantime I'm working on the facade.  This happens to be marble that is below the large windows on the front and west side of the building.  I had plans to cover it over, very tastefully mind you, but Cultural Resources had another idea.


They must be replaced with a similar look and material.  I am now getting bids on granite pieces as a replacement.  


Somewhere along this journey, I mentioned buying these four chairs.


Since then they have been sitting on my porch backless and seatless while those parts were being reupholstered.


The newly upholstered pieces were delivered today.
Can't wait to assemble and take them to the restaurant.
Everyone is asking when we will be to the point of needing seating and I cannot even hazard a guess.  All I can say is, "Stay tuned."


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a