Skip to main content

In between the BEFORE and the AFTER

If anyone is wondering when I am going to post the after shots of the new bathroom, the answer is: after it is finished.  I really can't predict that with any certainty.

It turned out to be a really smart move to install a temporary shower in the basement.  I have been using it for over a month now and I anticipate another couple weeks of showering in the wide open spaces.



There was a lot involved in tearing out the existing shower and the wall behind it.


  Then came the moving of the plumbing and the drain.


FYI for those interested, this is the new plumbing, just waiting to be put back to use.


This shows the drain that was moved from the right side to the center.  The floor of the shower leveled for the shower base and, where the shower used to stick out into the room.  That, of course, needs to be filled in as well.  The new tile will go over the existing tile because removing it would add a lot of time to demo and restoration.


That was followed by framing for the hall bump out that gave the bathroom a few inches of much needed space. (oops, missed getting a picture of the framing.)

 Of course there was drywall, mudding, sanding and priming on both the bump out and the left shower wall. (Actually this picture was taken after the first coat of paint as well.)


That left shower wall originally went all the way up to the ceiling.  Since it is only door height now, there was patch work to do on the ceiling too.



Over the weekend, while things were quiet, I decided to degloss and prime the windows.


They still need to be painted and the hardware put back on, but it's one more step forward.

INSERT (one week later, I finished painting the window trim.)

Somewhere along the line, Dan got tired of the 25 watt chandelier bulbs and replace them with some serious contractor lighting.  That will not be a permanent change.


I bought new handles to raise and lower the windows. The old ones seemed a little country for the new look.



A few things happened this week that made a big visual impact.  First of all the tile was laid and grouted.


And secondly, the walls were painted with the first coat of Ellie Gray, a Sherwin Williams color.


This left shower wall was moved about 4" to the right of it's original position, so a piece of wood trim had to be added on the right side of the door.  That was one more thing I primed and painted this weekend. (Only primed in this shot.)



Still debating the right color for the radiator and the shelf that goes below the windows.

I thought I could use a color I had on hand called Newsprint.  However, it turned out to be a little darker than I wanted.

So, tomorrow I will get a quart of Peppercorn and paint it again.  That's the new color on top of the, soon to be, old color.

I debated all weekend about the wall color too.


I added some white to the Ellie Gray and painted it on the wall of the shower on the right side of the white line. After some deliberation, I decided to keep it the full strength color on the left side of the line.  Some might consder it over-thinking.  I think of it more as thinking it over. Very carefully, I might add.  To me it's all in the details and time spent getting the details right makes all the difference in the finished look.

FYI, I am still trying to figure out the Canva program.  This looks perfectly fine in the editing process but when I publish it has the white background.  Since I have spent all the time my patience will allow trying to make it go away, I am going to ask you to ignore it.  So much for getting the details right!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a