Skip to main content

Jazzing up a Gift of Money

 

Even though monetary gifts might sound like the easy way out, that's not quite true.  This year I'm calling it the safer way to gift.  Safe because I don't have to risk shopping in a crowded store or picking something online that might not be quite what it looks like on my screen.  My grandkids range in age from 8-27 (two girls and two boys.) Knowing exactly what they wish for at any given age is often a blind guess.  Giving them money sort of feels like a cop-out, like maybe I didn't put enough effort into it.  But this year it feels like just the thing to do.  

I started by looking for ideas on Pinterest and saw a five-pointed star made from bills.  It was for sale on Etsy so there were were no directions.  However, I found those easily on youtube.  

I decided on two stars for each grandchild so that meant I would need 40 bills to complete the project.  A trip to the bank drive through took care of that. Here is where I messed up by forgetting to take any pictures of the process. So, for my purposes here I folded one bill (1/5 of one star) to show you how it looks.

This photo shows how the front of each bill looks when finished.  The tabs will not show when all five bills are connected to form the star.



The photo below will be what you see on the backside of the star.

The dark green blob you see near the tip in the first photo is not what you see on my completed stars because I used a $5 bill on my completed stars and a $20 bill here. (Not that it matters a lot which denomination you choose but you should be consistent on each group of five bills.
The folding I spaced out over a few days. Nimble fingers could easily complete it in one sitting, but it also takes precision and, although it is 2020, that does not apply to my vision.  So I paced myself to days of bright sunshine and flexible fingers.
 
Once all eight stars were folded and assembled they look like this:

Notice how you get a consistent pattern on each point of the star. You may have also noticed that someone wrote some initials on the bottom bill.  Just another thing you need to be aware of when choosing bills to be folded.  

Next I gathered a few small items to "accessorize" the stars.  I had a piece of, what could be called, a miniature garland. Actually is was a string of greenery from an artificial tree that would normally be used to wrap the stem of the tree to hide a possible bare spot.  I cut that into four equal lengths and wired two stars to each strand.  Yes, a dab of hot glue would have been easier and faster but these are currency that needs to be unfolded before using.  I didn't want to cause any problems in that department.

I used small decorated boxes rather than wrapping paper on plain boxes.  Instead of the standard tissue paper cushion, I used batting that I stretched gently to get a filmy, cloud like effect.  That served to get a little hold on the garland and keep the whole piece from flopping around in the box.

This one has a couple tiny ornaments with some tinsel and berries on the ends.

I added a bit of ribbon to keep the lid on and used a photo of my grandson, G, when he was much younger.  You probably can't see it but he does have a little snowman on his sweater and we were viewing the Christmas display at the Botanical Gardens the day this was taken.


This one got a little jingle bell, some dainty red ribbon and some little red flowers.

I also used a sepia tinted photo of my other grandson.  Since they are brothers I tried to keep things similar.

This is N in the photo, also from an earlier time.  He is looking at a Christmas card while standing in front of the stockings hung on the fireplace.

Some berries and a top hat finished off this one for one of my granddaughters.

A little curly ribbon secured this cover to the box.  I will attach a name tag to this one too. Just haven't quite decided what to use on such a cute and colorful design.

This one has a little gold filigree ornament in the center and a thin ribbon with some berries here and there.

I added a little cutout snowflake with a sparkly center to the cover and secured it with iridescent silver ribbon.

Full disclosure: 2020 is not the first time I have gifted money to my grandkids but I have found that, as long as I present it in something other than an envelope, they are delighted.  I suspect an envelope would work well for them too, but I'm all about the presentation of everything be it food, table settings, decor, or even my garage sales.




















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Upswing

After the last post, it seemed a good idea to do a follow up post to report that things are moving along nicely. This shot was taken before the remodel started.  The door at the end of the hallway leads into the bath now being remodeled. This is where the changes started.  The trim is off the doorway and the door opening will be enlarged to the width of the hallway. This shot taken of that same area now looks like this.  By closing the entrance from the hallway, that bathroom will now be the master bath by keeping the entrance from the bedroom only. This is how it looks from the bathroom side.  the door on the left leads to the hallway and the one on the right into the bedroom. Now it looks like this.  Part of the hallway has become part of the bathroom.  This is where the vanity will be installed.  The partial doorway you see on the right leads to the bedroom. Turning 180 degrees and looking across the room to the opposite corner, you see the window and the en

Out of No Where

Isn't it uncanny how a project can sneak into an already crowded schedule? Recently a friend invited me to do a walk through on a two-family he was planning to buy.  A couple pieces of furniture had been left behind and they were dumpster material to him.  Did I go with him thinking there was something there for me?   NO. Was I looking for something in particular? NO.  Did the thought of finding a new project ever cross my mind? NO!  But, see for yourself.  Could you have passed this up?  It was sturdy (translates to a little heavy). There was nothing wrong with it.  It even had all the shelves and the pins that hold them in place.  And without the shelves it was not quite as heavy.  (Try telling me that as my friend and I are hauling it down a flight of stairs.)  More shelving on the side made it even more practical.  I'm sure they could be used for something besides VHS tapes. Here it is in my studio where I could do a complete assessment.  Looks like a good cleaning

Small Storage Containers RECYCLED

 With the way grocery products have skyrocketed this past year, it has somehow made the containers they come in seem more valuable. To be transparent, I have always saved glass jars from jam, pickles, and spaghetti sauce.=) You know, small, medium and large. I also saved yogurt cups, sour cream containers, etc. When I was painting furniture and mixing colors, the small containers came in handy. This past summer I got a good laugh when I found a stack of yogurt containers in the back of a cabinet in my studio...at least 60! Needless to say those made it into the trash. More recently I have collected a fair amount of plastic containers with lids that are similar to the food saving containers you buy for that purpose. These are fairly large, about 5x7 inches and approximately 3" deep. They are great for leftovers but also good for storing a multitude of other smallish items. The bottoms are see through which makes them perfect for organizing hobby/craft and workshop items. But once a